General Laminate Flooring Maintenance
- Use only soap-free cleaners.
- Remove loose dirt with a dust mop or a gentle vacuum without a beater bar.
- Wipe up spills right away.
- Use a quality laminate floor cleaner - be sure to follow the directions on the bottle.
- Dust or vacuum more often in problem spots and areas with a lot of foot traffic.
- Only use cleaners that are designated for laminate flooring and be careful not to saturate the floor with the cleaner as it could cause damage. Try the cleaner in a small inconspicuous area first.
- Do not clean using excessive water as it could cause your flooring to buckle or separate.
- Certain cleaners can scratch the surface of your laminate flooring, such as steel wool or scouring powders. Do not use them to clean your flooring.
- Liquids that stand on your flooring can cause damage.
- Never wax, polish or use buffing machines.
- Laminate flooring could sustain steam damage due to the high temperatures from steam mops. Check the manufacturer guidelines for your flooring before using a steam mop. Read more about steam mops and laminate flooring.
Laminate Flooring Stain and Spot Removal
Accidents and spills will happen. The good news is that laminate flooring can be cleaned. But if you’re faced with a tough stain or spot, follow these simple steps:
- Remove wet spills immediately.
- Wipe the floor with a warm moist cloth.
- More stubborn dirt can be removed using a slightly moist mop and gentle cleaner designed for laminate flooring.
- For substances that may stick to your floor, try to harden the spot with ice and gently remove with a dull plastic scraper. Be sure not to apply too much pressure as this could damage the floor’s finish.
- Always follow manufacturer recommendations.
For sticky substances, harden the spot with an ice cube and lightly rub with a dull plastic scraper. Do not apply too much pressure as this could damage or scrape the floor’s finish.
All Product Care Articles
Learn easy cleaning and maintenance tips and when to consider professional carpet cleaning.
Protect your hardwood flooring investment with tips for easy maintenance and removing spots and stains.
Vinyl flooring is known for its toughness from everyday living, find out how to keep them looking newer, longer.
Maintaining tile flooring is easy when you follow these simple tips.