General Carpet Cleaning
No carpet is stain proof, although many are stain-resistant. Prompt attention to spots and spills is essential. It’s important to test any cleaning method in an inconspicuous area first.
- Absorb the stain as much as possible with white towels. Blot the area with white towels dampened with cool water until there is no more transfer of the stain onto the towels.
- Never rub or scrub abrasively. A fuzzy area may result. Avoid spreading the spill -- start at the spot’s outer edge and work inward.
- Remember to thoroughly remove any residue after you’ve finished cleaning. Otherwise, the residue may become sticky, causing further soiling.
- Draw out remaining moisture. Place several layers of white towels over the spot. Then, weigh them down with a heavy object that will not transfer color, such as a plastic jug of water.
NOTE: Wool fibers absorb more water than synthetic fibers without feeling damp, so, it’s important to remove all excess moisture. Also, always use manufacturer's recommendations and consult a professional.
Preventative Carpet Maintenance
Follow these preventative maintenance steps to keep your Empire Today® carpet looking newer, longer. Regular vacuuming is the most important step in caring for your new carpet. Change the direction you vacuum occasionally. This helps stand the pile upright and reduces matting.
Pay special attention to high-traffic areas. Foot traffic can push soil particles deeper into the pile. This makes them more difficult to remove. It can also damage fibers.
- Vacuum twice a week.
- Vacuum traffic lanes daily.
- Vacuum once a week.
- Vacuum traffic lanes twice a week.
- Place mats at the entrances of your home’s carpeted areas -- this can help absorb moisture and help prevent soiling.
- Relocate heavy furniture periodically to help prevent permanent pile crushing.
- Place floor protectors under any heavy pieces of furniture to help reduce pile crushing.
- Use blinds & shades available at Empire® to help protect your carpet against direct sunlight and fading.
Professional Carpet Cleaning
Empire recommends that customers have their carpet professionally cleaned every six to 12 months. We recommend a hot water extraction method or “steam cleaning.” The manufacturer warranty that comes with your carpet requires that it be cleaned by a certified professional.
Professional Cleaning vs. Do-it-Yourself (DIY)
Hiring a professional offers several advantages over cleaning your own carpet. Professional carpet cleaners:
- Have the right equipment. Their tools have more extraction power to remove excessive moisture that could cause damage to your carpet.
- Know the right approach. They are trained to know the proper cleaning agents that can help address specific stains or soils.
- Understand carpet. They recognize differences in fibers and carpet construction, which helps them determine the proper approach for cleaning.
- Apply stain and soil protectants. Professional carpet cleaners may be able to re-apply a topical treatment to your carpet that could help protect against future stains and soiling.
If you do decide to rent a steam-cleaning machine, shop around before making a selection. Most rental units available might not adequately clean your carpet. They may even damage it. One way to locate a professional cleaner is to contact the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) at 800-835-4624 (non-affiliation). It maintains a national directory of independent professional cleaners who are trained and certified in a variety of specialties. Ask for a cleaner who uses a hot water extraction system.
All Product Care Articles
Durable laminate is easy to clean and maintain with these simple steps.
Protect your hardwood flooring investment with tips for easy maintenance and removing spots and stains.
Vinyl flooring is known for its toughness from everyday living, find out how to keep them looking newer, longer.
Maintaining tile flooring is easy when you follow these simple tips.
These easy tips help keep your blinds & shades looking beautiful.